Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Werewolves, Bigfoot and Vampires

Okay, here's an argument at our house: does Bigfoot exist? Depends on which member of the household you ask. Not mentioning any names, but the senior member of the family is outvoted 2 to 1 on this question. Alex is as skeptical as I am if you're talking about Sasquatch. It is an altogether different case if you bring up the Loch Ness monster. Alex is a die-hard Nessie fan. I can let that slide on the off chance that I might get to go to Scotland on a fact-finding mission.


Alex is a fan, in general, of all sorts of creatures. His favorite Abbott & Costello movies are the ones that include the Wolfman, Mummy, Frankenstein or the Invisible Man. (Yes, I know that it should be Frankenstein's monster but Abbott & Costello are not correct there, or in many other places.) So, I should have expected it a few nights ago when he showed me a scratch on his knee. "Mom, I have to tell you something. Last night I got scratched by a werewolf."


"Oh, no, are you going to be a werewolf?" "Yes, at the next full moon." He then demonstrated how he would snarl and growl, and asked me when the next full moon was. I have no idea. Since he doesn't stay up after dark, we may be safe. At least until he's older and his bedtime is later.


On the subject of vampires, I have a deep, dark secret. Okay, probably not as deep or dark as I would hope. I am a huge Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan. The TV series, not the movie. (The movie has its moments, especially those with Donald Sutherland in it, but it is not nearly as successfully entertaining as the TV show.) I can probably tell you the plot of most episodes by watching the first 5 minutes. Most likely, I can quote at least one line of dialogue from each one as well. A few weeks ago, Nickelodeon's teen channel started running Buffy at midnight each night. Alex saw some of the ads during the afternoon while watching his beloved Drake & Josh. (I am not nearly so proud to say that I also know the plots of every episode of Drake & Josh. Sometimes I make Alex change the channel when I've reached my lifetime quota of viewings for an episode.) Alex mentioned in passing that Buffy the Vampire Slayer was cool. I agreed. Then he asked who "Rex" was on the show. "Rex?" "Yeah, Rex." Now in seven seasons of Buffy I do not recall a character named Rex. I wracked my brain for minor characters, guest stars or villains that could have been Rex. Nothing. I had no idea.


Finally, last night we were watching Drake & Josh yet again, and the Buffy commercial came on again. The tagline asked what was more difficult - high school, fighting vampires or facing her ex. On that last part it showed her talking and fighting with Angel (played by David Boreanaz). Alex looked at me and said, "That's Rex." No, it's not, his name is Angel. Ohhhhh, "her ex," "Rex," NOW I get it. The kid hears as well as I do!


He almost got in trouble over my faulty hearing yesterday. On the way back from swimming lessons we had the car windows and roof open to help him dry off without freezing in the A/C. The radio was on, too, when he announced (I thought) that "Girls were dumb." WHAT?! We do not talk about people that way, much less girls as a whole! I was just getting wound up when he added, "They're not people, they're animals." I was about to stop the car on the side of the road so that I could yell at him more effectively when he said, "I said TURTLES, not GIRLS!" Well, that's a different kettle of fish altogether. Carry on. But we don't know that turtles are dumb either! We don't want to be species-ists.


To close, I'll try to put beach pictures up over the long weekend. We got some good ones. Here's is one showing how we spent Father's Day.




This is my brother Brad, my Dad and Alex at the bar at Lulu's at Homeport Marina. It's an open restaurant but there were lots of fans and we sat on the water. When they brought the appetizers, Alex dug into Mimi's onion rings as Art and I stared in amazement. He said, "What? I eat these all the time." Huh? I missed that memo. We'd never seen him put an onion in his mouth. So two vegetable triumphs this summer: carrots and onions, at least the deep fried kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment