Thursday, September 2, 2010

First Day of School


Alex started school a couple of weeks ago, and he loves it. He's an old pro now. Mimi and Paw visited the weekend before he began and we had a ball. We visited the park, went bowling and ate at a new Mexican restaurant. A good time was had by all. A couple of days before they got here we went to the school for Meet the Teacher Day. We went to see his room again and met some of his classmates. There were popsicles. Alex was thrilled to see his old friend Jack P. would be in the classroom across the hall. We got him signed up for his lunch plan and he promptly memorized the number he has to key in. (Art says he got my freakish number memory.) On the way out of the school I pointed out a new swing set that was on the playground. Alex: "Yeah, I knew it was new - it doesn't have any bird poop on it." That's one way to tell, I guess.

On the big day we were allowed to take pictures, then he told Mimi, Paw and Art goodbye. I parked and walked him in, but he went in his room without even a look at me. He'd made clear the night before what was acceptable behavior on my part. "Mom, tomorrow - no kisses, no hugs and no 'Goodbye, sweetheart's". Yes, sir. I worked him down to a high five or a fist bump. That was all I was allowed. Even more thrilling than school, what with the cafeteria serving grilled cheeses every day if you didn't like the main choices, was After School Care. Or, After School Camp, as Alex likes to call it. It is pretty good. They get a snack, homework help (if they have actual homework), and they can play in the gym, outside, watch movies or do crafts. The first couple of days I picked him up he tried to get me to come back later.

Day 2 of school brought a note from the teacher. It seems that Alex can't sit still and won't stop talking - who knew?! His ant was moved from the grass to Anthills #1, 2 and 3. This necessitated a note. I was horrified. We explained that there would be a connection between future ant movement and television watching. (Not a good connection, either.) This seemed to convince him. We haven't had any more notes. And, best of all, I've heard several people say that their kids had notes the first week to, that the teachers were particularly strict to "lay down the law." Wishful thinking? Maybe, but I'll take what I can get.

We also had to explain the connection between the number he punches in the machine in the cafeteria and money. He told us this hilarious (to him) story about Zachary getting him to put ketchup in his milk. I told him he shouldn't waste food. Alex explained that it was okay, he threw the milk away and they "gave" him another one. I told him that we have to pay for that. "No, we don't, they don't ask for money." We went over the arrangements for lunchroom payments. "Ohhhhh, I didn't know that." Well, now we know.

Today he came home with a story about someone whose name he couldn't remember ("from Art Camp, but not Mary Kate") involving blood, no fault on his part, and a tooth. I finally figured out that someone lost their tooth. I explained that it happened, we'd discussed this before. He had not know that blood or pain might be involved. The lure of the tooth fairy is not enough for blood and pain apparently. Our dentist says that is coming soon but no loose teeth so far.

Our next challenge: a pirate ghost Halloween costume. It took me a day or two to figure out it was inspired by Michael Jackson's Thriller video. I wonder where you find a child's small captain's coat? At least I have a couple of months!

No comments:

Post a Comment