Saturday, January 7, 2012

Rare Frog(gy) sighting

Or maybe not - can you sight things that are imaginary and/or invisible? For those who have known Alex his whole seven year life (can you believe he is 7 today?!), you probably remember Crabby and Froggy who were his constant companions through preschool. Crabby and Froggy were an invisible crab and frog (duh) who were usually with us at all times. They seemed to be about real size but could talk, had frequent birthdays and were only visible to Alex. Crabby was a troublemaker who often pestered Alex, Froggy and anyone else unlucky enough to catch his attention. According to Alex, he also briefly worked at Subway. Anyway, as imaginary/invisible friends go, thus went Crabby and Froggy. We had fewer and fewer mentions of them until school started. Now we rarely hear anything about them.

So imagine my surprise last Saturday when Alex and Froggy came to my bedside to announce it was Froggy's 46th birthday. I asked if we needed to have any particular kind of celebration but Froggy is a modest sort and told me he really didn't need anything. Art was really surprised when I told him about it - he hadn't heard from Froggy in many months. I don't remember the last time I'd "seen" him. As the junior partner Froggy was usually relegated to the background while Crabby was their spokesperson. I guess Alex was preparing for his birthday this week and Froggy came to mind. We haven't had any other sightings since but it's good to hear from old friends!

1 comment:

  1. Tell Froggy that I said "Hi" and if he wants, he can come to rural Lincoln Parish and I will take him out fishing or something for his birthday...he might need to bring his own pole though since most of my gear is set up for saltwater. He may just decide to retire here!

    ReplyDelete