Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Book 2 of 2013 - Defending Jacob

I'm really excited about all these books we're reading. I just wish I had more time. I saw something on Facebook last week that said, "So many books, so little time." I totally understand the sentiment.

Defending Jacob by William Landay popped up on a couple of "Best of 2012 Books" lists. The one that made me get it was Stephen King's. I may not read any of his books anymore, but I trust his taste in books, music, movies and TV (at least as communicated in Entertainment Weekly). Art got a Nook for Christmas and it came pre-loaded on it but Art doesn't read much in the way of fiction. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't let me borrow his new Nook but I lucked out and found it on the library's website and read it on my phone. I'd never tried that before, but it was very handy to have something with me all the time that I could read while waiting in line on various errands. Of course, there were thousands of little screens to flick through before the book was done, but it was a great book.

Defending Jacob reminded me of Scott Turow at his best. The main character is an assistant district attorney with a teenage son named Jacob. When another teenager in their small town is killed, the father is the lead attorney during the preliminary investigation. Things take a turn when evidence shows his son may be involved. A large portion of the book examines what happens when one of your loved ones is accused of a horrible crime. Do you believe them or the evidence? How would your neighbors react if they thought you harbored a criminal, or were one yourself? I remember how I couldn't put Presumed Innocent down years ago until I found out "whodunit." This book was the same. I felt compelled to read around the clock until I finished it. (By the way, I don't actually recommend doing that on a tiny phone screen - severe eye strain!)

No comments:

Post a Comment