Thursday, February 25, 2010

Tigers and Pirates and Elephants, oh my!

It's been a while since I've posted anything but it's been crazy here. Last weekend was a mad rush. We had circus tickets for Saturday morning, so Alex and I headed out on a quest for clowns. There was some confusion about what to expect on Alex's part. He's been to the circus before, but it was a scaled-down one-ring version that Ringling Brothers did a couple of years ago. So, I thought he knew what was going on. Then he started asking about the rides - would they have a Ferris Wheel? He was confusing it with the fair we went to in October. When I tried to explain it was like the thing we went to at the basketball arena, he started asking about the game they played there. After much thinking we realized he didn't mean the circus, or basketball, but the LEGO Robotics tournament that we've been to for the past few years. (That's a whole 'nother story - crazed fans cheering for high schoolers who've rigged up robots to play games - Alex is a devoted fan!)

Anyway, we loved the circus. I only had to buy one souvenir, something called a Boom-A-Ring. It's like a boomerang but more complicated. As if my level of coordination allows me to operate either. Art has been practicing with it, to limited success. The clowns made it look so easy. Darn clowns. I loved the circus. Alex did, too, mostly. Sample quote: "That is IN-SANE!" His favorite parts: clowns, elephants, tigers, tightrope walkers, trapeze artists and motorcycles in the giant steel ball. I loved it all but we part ways on the acrobats. I am in awe and amazement at these people doing jumps, flips and various acrobatics. After about five minutes Alex looked at me and said, "Enough of this! Where are the clowns?" My theory is at 5 years old, you think you can do all of that - what's so special about cutting flips on a trampoline? He already thinks he can defy gravity.

Day two of the weekend was just as exciting. Due to the snow storm (see earlier posts), a play we were going to rescheduled. So we set out for "How I Became a Pirate." It was a children's theater production and we'd seen a couple of theirs before. I think Alex may have enjoyed it more than the circus. There were lots of pirates, some fighting, singing and dancing, and a storm. He insisted that we stay and get autographs when it was done. Everyone was really good in it. When we saw Willy Wonka there, the actors were mostly kids with a few adults. This play had a boy as the main character and everyone else were grown up - including a few high schoolers. It always amazes me how they can transform the place with good costumes and fairly limited scenery/special effects. Alex got his autographs - everyone signed their characters' names. We're looking into season tickets for next year. Alex is still miffed that he's not old enough to act. Whenever he heard me telling people we were going to the play he was quick to point out, "Just to watch, I'm not going to be in it."

Slight controversy at school this week: they have a new kid, and he has "girl hair." Art asked what, exactly, that meant. Alex motioned with his hands around his neck, "You know." "He has long hair?" "Yeah!" I asked the teacher about it when I dropped him off this morning. (A digression: "dropped off" makes it sound easy, like he goes willingly and complacently. HA!) She said there was a class discussion yesterday about whether or not a boy could have long hair. I'm not sure if there was a plan for what to do if he couldn't. Ms. Brandi told them that different people have different length hair, and it was all okay. I don't think the 3 & 4 year old classes are convinced. Poor kid. I haven't seen him yet. I will report back when I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment