Monday, March 1, 2010

Q is for Quiche

Alex's class has been studying different letters every week and last week was "Q." Since his all-time favorite food is quiche, he wanted to take it for show and tell on Friday. I thought the easiest way to do that would be in miniature form. It was a little different than our usual recipe but I made them that morning and took two dozen tiny little quiches to his class. (Well, two dozen less the two that Alex and I had to "zample" as he says. You know, quality control.) They were still warm when we got there and the 3 and 4 year olds had them for morning snack. I guess they liked them - there weren't any left over to bring home.

Here's Alex's quiche recipe:

Refrigerator Pie from Alton Brown

frozen pie crust
filling of choice (we like bacon or turkey and cheese)
2 eggs
1 cup half and half
2 pinches salt
ground nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Put filling in pie crust. Beat eggs, half and half and salt together. Pour into crust. Grind nutmeg over the pie. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. When done, let cool for 15 minutes before cutting. Alex thinks this makes 3 or 4 servings. If you have salad or soup with it, 6 or 8 servings. (Especially if you have fillings like veggies.)

In a non-food related development I re-started my early morning gym trips. I hope by putting it on here it will encourage me to keep them up. My latest allergy attacks are easing up and I have my handy-dandy inhaler now. I'm working towards getting back into my spin class three mornings a week, but I definitely have to work up to those. Of course, we're supposed to have snow all day tomorrow. Let's hope it holds off until mid-morning like the predictions say.

If I don't check in tomorrow - everyone have a Happy Dr. Seuss's birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment