Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Magic on the Reading List

This weekend Alex discovered a box of books we stored in his closet. After a few questions on the Kate Turabian Manual of Style (aka “torture device from graduate school writing”) he moved on to the stack of Harry Potter books. While the child denies the ability to read letters, he knew that they were Harry Potter books because he “saw a commercial” about them. The day he got them out I put the one he brought to me back in the box and didn’t think much about it. Until I was getting ready for bed. That was when I noticed the Turabian book between the laundry basket and the wall. Hmm. So I put it away and started to get into bed. Then I noticed the lumps. Two more Harry Potter books were in our bed. I picked those up as well. I guess we were doing an Easter egg/hide and seek type thing with them. The next morning Alex asked if I’d found them. This is why we confiscated the real Easter eggs after the egghunts Sunday.

While Art was at a meeting Monday night Alex asked me to read the Harry Potter books to him. I thought, sure, why not? He’d never sit still for a very long book with very few pictures. The first night we read 46 pages. He never got tired! Last night I limited him to one chapter – 11 more pages. We’ll see how long he lasts.

We’ve had to do more inside activities. The air is glowing yellow with pollen. The neighborhood has been beautiful for the past week or so. First the tulips and forsythia started blooming, and the camellias were still gorgeous. Now all of the flowering trees are really coming out. The dogwoods in the neighborhood are almost at full bloom and we have some gorgeous azaleas. If only I could breathe when I was outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment