Friday, April 2, 2010

Safety Day & Egg-speriments

I have no idea what they really call it, but every year on Good Friday the local police have a big event for kids. They have police cars, boats, helicopters, etc., basically every sort of police vehicle you can imagine. There are fire trucks, ambulances, bounce houses, canine police units and much, much more. Alex has been a couple of times and I invited our niece and her son and daughter to go with us.

I had the day off so we slept in. I asked Alex what he would like for breakfast: "Waffles, eggs and bacon." No. How about biscuits, eggs and bacon? That would work, too. He recently discovered fried eggs. He saw their picture on the Waffle House menu and insisted we try some. He loved them. Well. I have never fried an egg. They always looked disgusting to me. The only way I usually will eat them is scrambled. That is my favorite form. I asked if he wanted a fried egg. Of course he did. What to do? I got the handy Better Homes & Garden red plaid cookbook down. It is my go-to guide when I need basic cooking information. And I do mean basic. It had a recipe for fried eggs! Hooray! Apparently I did not follow it correctly. The first one went into the trash. This depressed me to no end, especially since Angel's daughter Evelyn (age 7) can do this procedure ALONE. Evelyn, may I come learn how you do this?

I tried winging it with the second and it at least looked correct. Don't know how it tasted but he ate it all. The frozen biscuits and pre-cooked bacon worked out as well. And, yes, I know how bad that sounds for my reputation as a chef.

On to Safety Day! We packed up the kids in their carseats in the backseat of my car. The fire trucks were the first thing we saw, and the boys got to climb inside to have their picture made.



Will is almost 4 and his favorite things in the world are "hoppitys". Three-year-old translation: helicopters. He has expressed a desire to own one along with his Nana (Art's sister Tracy) in which he will "drive" them wherever he wants to go. So a major draw of Safety Day was the possibility of seeing a helicopter. We lucked out, there was not one, not two but THREE. The first was a police helicopter that we got to see but not get in. The EMTs at the hospital helicopter let Will and Gracie get in the passenger part and have their picture made. Alex wasn't so sure about getting inside but did get close enough to have his picture made with the others.



The boys also were measured and got new bicycle helmets, as well as everyone getting yo-yo's that light up, coloring books and stickers. It was a great day except for the heat. We left after a couple of hours because it was too hot and I was already a little sunburned.

Alex and I wrapped up the afternoon with a movie. We went to see "How To Train Your Dragon" and highly recommend it. The movie was a bribe. In the hierarchy of preschoolers Alex is king of the hill and Will and Gracie are "babies." I promised if he played nice and didn't cause any commotion I'd take him to the movie. It worked out. Now I'm going to take my pink self to the couch for the rest of the evening. It's been a long day!

No comments:

Post a Comment