Saturday, January 16, 2010

Big Day in 5-Year-Old History

I took the day off from work Thursday. Alex and I had big plans, and Art joined us around lunch time. We started out with breakfast at IHOP because, as Alex told me, their all-you-can-eat pancakes are back. (Not that either one of us could eat more than the first plate, but we both have a deep love of pancakes.) Then, we headed to his pediatrician for the 5-year-old check-up. He'd already asked several times if there would be shots involved. I reminded him that last year, which was a horrible shot year, they told him no more until he turned 11. That seemed to satisfy him. So this is how it went:

eye test: great, lots of fun, he remembered if fondly from last year
peeing in a cup: very funny, but no problem
height and weight: he fell right in line, stood where he was supposed to, etc.
blood pressure cuff: the nurse calls it a hug for your arm, we see Papa do it all the time
finger prick for blood test: 5-year-old code word for "lose your ever-loving mind"

The child ran screaming and crying about the doctor's office (in and out of the lab) until the nurse said, "Let's just go into the exam room." As I corraled him and ushered him to the room, he said, "Do we still have to do the blood test?" "Oh, yes, we do!" After much drama, he was restrained and tested. Poor Miss Lisa. She's an awesome nurse, but all he remembers is that she's been torturing him for five year. She told me that whenever one wigs out like that they move to a room so they don't freak out any other children. Great.

His doctor is also great. Alex tried to get her to ditch the rest of the day and go to the children's museum with us. She told him that would leave one doctor for the afternoon and she really couldn't do it. He still weighs 42 lbs., which has been constant forever, but is now 44 1/4 inches tall. I'm afraid he's going to overtake me soon. He did have a sinus infection and we had to get Amoxicillin. More about that later.

From the doctor's office, we went to Target for a few things. As we walked in Monkey Boy had the gall to ask, "Do I still get a toy?" I think I was giggling hysterically as I said, "NO!" He did get new socks and underwear but I don't think either one of us considered that much of a reward - though he did get to pick which superheroes he wanted on his rump.

The second big stop for the day was the elementary school for kindergarten registration. We filled out all our forms and signed up for an open house and orientation in March. Then we'll get to do the tour and see a kindergarten room. It was good to see one of his old preschool buddies already on the list. I'm hoping he'll know a few people when he starts in the fall. While I worked on the forms, Alex dismantled the paper clip that came on them. He is unable to leave them in their original state. They always end up as some sort of modern art sculpture.

From there we picked up Art and went to the children's museum. Alex and I went with Mimi and Paw back in the fall but Art had never been. Alex thought there was lots of neat stuff he needed to see. We did have a good time. We played (loudly) in the music room, Alex did the weather report in the TV studio, shopped for groceries in the market, piloted the space shuttle (badly) and played in the water flow thing-y for a long time. It was great, and we made it out just before they closed. There was a semi-meltdown on the way home but it was a big day for a little guy.

We took the Amoxicillin prescription in when we got home. At the pharmacy Amanda warned me it was bubble gum-flavored. (She knows everyone in our household well.) She wished me luck getting Alex to take it. Last week we had gone through all the kids' medicines looking for one that did what we needed with an acceptable flavor. We gave up. By the time I got home with the medicine after a meeting, Alex was already asleep. So, I got to try to give him the first dose Friday morning before we left for school. Imagine, if you will, a little boy at the Alamo: "You'll never take me alive!" This is what I had on my hands when I held out the beaker of pink medicine. There were tears, pleading, he shook his head, clamped his mouth and refused. When I finally got him to taste it, he spit it out. I threatened the horrible things I might do if he ever spit on my floor again. I offered him a dollar. (He's really been into money lately, and is saving up for some large Bakugan thing.) He said, and I quote, "No money will make me drink that!" I told him, too bad, but he would be taking 1 teaspoon twice a day for 10 days, money or not. He choked, and I do mean "choked," what was left of the teaspoon down, and we went to school all teary.

The medicine thing is highly amusing for my dear mother. I could practically hear her giggling when she emailed me "Pay back is sweet."

Dose #2, after supper the same day: "Can I drink it slowly?" "Yes." "Okay." He drank the medicine and went about his business. That's when I want to scream!

No comments:

Post a Comment