Saturday, January 2, 2010

Wonderful Things About Christmas


Well, we successfully made it through the holidays! Here is a short list of the good parts - my favorite things:

1) The stocking was hung by the chimney with care. It only took until Alex's 5th Christmas to finish, but I got his stocking done. On Christmas Eve. With him hanging over my shoulder at the sewing machine, telling me, "Mom, we only have HOURS!" To be fair, I did have it within two hours of finished last year, but he wouldn't let me take down the substitute stocking that Mimi made for him. He wanted to stick with that one for last year's Christmas.

2) Slippers so soft I feel like Cruella DeVille. I'm pretty sure they're not made of kitten fur, but I'm not going to chance looking at the label. They are divine.

3) Alex got to go to the Reindeer Retreat acting workshop at the Children's Theatre. He performed the role of Rudolph (though without a red nose) in "Olive the Other Reindeer." He had a ball and now wants to be an actor. Art and I thought he already was. He wanted to go back the next day for more and was quite miffed when they told him he was too young to be in the regular plays. He's just biding his time now.

4) The Spearman Family Christmas Eve Breakfast went off with nary a hitch. We had 67 of the family there with biscuits, grits, eggs, country ham, bacon and sausage for all. No fires, just a lingering smell of pork. This was the third year that Art and his siblings were in charge, and the biggest one we'd done. I thanked Alex for being so nice and talking to all of his great-aunts and -uncles. He told me, "I do my best."

5) It all only comes once a year!

Mimi and Paw didn't get to come like they planned in mid-December, but we hope to go there soon, or have them here in a month or two. For now we've moved on to planning of the gala 5-Year-Old birthday party. The countdown to the actual birthday started this week - only five more days!

No comments:

Post a Comment