Sunday, January 10, 2010

New, Weird Symptoms, Birthday & More

>
Thursday, Alex got spots for his birthday. After much discussion with the nurse over the phone, she decided it was Fifth Disease, and to continue as we had been. The splotches came and went and didn't bother him at all. He was well enough to go to the grocery store and pick out a birthday cake (his choice, I offered to cook). That took most of his energy for the day. He asked for his favorite dinner - quiche - and cake. The presents and cake revived him a good bit. We had high hopes that he'd be able to go back to school on Friday but he was just too worn out. He made it through half his breakfast before crawling under a blanket on the couch. Here's a picture of the guy celebrating the big 0-5. Aside from being sick, his other birthday disappointment was that he gained no new superpowers. He was hoping to be able to fly when he turned 5. I pointed out that Superman was a good bit older before he could do all he could. Alex told me, "At least I have my laser vision." Always looking on the bright side.

I decided to try to be creative while I was at home. (Since I couldn't compete with the Cartoon Network.) I finished a fall cross-stitch piece which I will debut later. And, I made a poncho for my niece, Gracie. It went really quickly and really well. I don't think I'll use the pattern again, though, because the border was very confusing. Here is Gracie with it on:

She was happy with it once we got it on her. At first she didn't want it - she kept saying it was a blanket. Perhaps she is as disturbed by those Snuggie commercials as I am.

Now that I've gotten the smaller version done, I may try one for me. Especially if this cold spell continues. We went to Art's parents' today and could still see snow around the edge of the lake, and some ice. We're ready for a little bit of warmth - at least highs in the 50s.

No comments:

Post a Comment